I need to make a confession at the outt here. | 开始前我必须先向你们告解 |
A little over 20 years ago I did something that I regret, something that I'm not particularly proud of, something that, in many ways, I wish no one would ever know, but here I feel kind of obliged to reveal. | 二十多年前我做了一件让我后悔莫及的事 一件我丝毫不感到骄傲的事 一件我希望没有任何人会知道的事 但今日我认为我有必要揭发我自己 |
In the late 1980s, in a moment of youthful indiscretion, I went to law school. | 80年代晚期 因为年少轻狂 我进入法律学院就读 |
Now, in America law is a professional degree: you get your university degree, then you go on to law school. | 在美国 法律学位是个专业学位 你得先拿到学士 才能进入法律学院 |
And when I got to law school, I didn't do very well. | 当我进入法律学院时 我的成绩不怎么好 |
To put it mildly, I didn't do very well. | 客气地说 我的成绩不怎么好 |
I, in fact, graduated in the part of my law school class that made the top 90 percent possible. | 我的毕业成绩成就了在我之上那其他九成的同学 |
Thank you. | 谢谢你们 |
I never practiced law a day in my life; | 我这辈子从来没做过律师 |
I pretty much wasn't allowed to. | 基本上那样做可能还会犯法 |
But today, against my better judgment, against the advice of my own wife, I want to try dust off some of tho legal skills -- what's left of tho legal skills. | 但今日 我违背我的理性 违背我太太的忠告 我想重拾那些过去所学的诉讼技巧,所剩无几的诉讼技巧 |
I don't want to tell you a story. | 我不想向你们说故事 |
I want to make a ca. | 而是提出一个陈述 |
I want to make a hard-headed, evidence-bad, dare I say lawyerly ca, for rethinking how we run our business.竞选体育委员发言稿 | 提出一个有根据 货真价实的法庭陈述 来重新思考我们的管理方法 |
So, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, take a look at this. | 陪审团的女士先生们 请看看这个 |
This is called the candle problem. | 这便是有名的蜡烛问题 |
Some of you might have en this before. | 你们之中有些人可能已经看过了 |
It's created in 1945 by a psychologist named Karl Duncker. | 它是在1945年 由心理学家Karl Duncker所创造的 |
Karl Dunker created this experiment that is ud in a whole variety of experiments in behavioral science. | Karl Duncker创造了这个实验 在行为科学中被广泛运用 |
And here's how it works.Suppo I'm the experimenter. | 情况是 假设我是实验者 |
I bring you into a room. I give you a candle, Some thumbtacks and some matches. | 我带你进入一个房间 给你一根蜡烛 一些图钉和火柴 |
And I say to you, “your job is to attach the candle to the wall so the wax doesn't drip onto the table.” Now what would you do? | 告诉你说 现在尝试把蜡烛固定在墙上 让烛泪不要滴到桌上 你会怎么做 |
Now many people begin trying to thumbtack the candle to the wall. | 许多人尝试用图钉把蜡烛钉在墙上 |
Doesn't work. | 行不通 |
Somebody, some people -- and I saw somebody kind of make the motion over here -- some people have a great idea where they light the match, melt the side of the candle, try to adhere it to the wall. | 有些人 台下也有些人 做出这样的动作 有些人想到他们可以点燃火柴 溶化蜡烛的底部 尝试把它黏在墙上 |
It's an awesome idea. Doesn't work. 滕振国 | 好主意 但行不通 | 告白气球吉他谱
And eventually, after five or 10 minutes,most people figure out the solution, which you can e here. | 差不多过了五到十分钟 大部分的人便会想出解决办法 就像图片上那样 |
The key is to overcome what's called functional fixedness. | 重点是克服 功能固着 |
You look at that box and you e it only as a receptacle for the tacks. | 蹊跷是什么意思当你看到盒子 你不过把它当成装大头针的容器 |
But it can also have this other function, as a platform for the candle. The candle problem. | 但它还有其它功能 那就是作为蜡烛的平台 |
Now I want to tell you about an experiment using the candle problem, done by a scientist named Sam Glucksberg, who is now at Princeton University in the U.S. | 现在我想告诉你另一个实验 利用蜡烛问题 由一个现在在普林斯顿大学 叫做Sam Glucksberg 的科学家所做的实验 |
This shows the power of incentives. | 这实验让我们看见动机的力量 |
Here's what he did. He gathered his participants. | 他是这么做的 他将参与者聚集在一个房间里 |
And he said,“I'm going to time you. How quickly you can solve this problem ?” | 告诉他们 我要开始计时 看看你们能多快解决这个问题 |
To one group he said, “I'm going to time you to establish norms, averages for how long it typically takes someone to solve this sort of problem.” | 他对其中一群人说 我只是想取个平均值 看一般人需要花多久的时间才能解决这样的问题 |
To the cond group he offered rewards. | 他提供奖励给另一群人 |
He said,“If you're in the top 25 percent of the fastest times, you get five dollars. If you're the fastest of everyone we're testing here today, you get 20 dollars.” | 他说 如果你是前25%最快解决问题的人 就能拿到五块钱 如果你是今日所有人里解答最快的 你就有20块钱 |
Now this is veral years ago. Adjusted for inflation, it's a decent sum of money for a few minutes of work. It's a nice motivator. | 这个实验是几年前的事了 按照通货膨胀 几分钟就能拿到20块是很不错的 是个不错的诱因 |
Question: How much faster did this group solve the problem? | 问题是 这群人比另一群人的解题速度快了多少呢? |
Answer: It took them, on average, three and a half minutes longer. | 答案是 平均来说 他们比另一组人 多花了三分半钟 |
Three and a half minutes longer. Now this makes no n right? | 整整三分半钟 这不合理 不是吗 |
I mean, I'm an American. I believe in free markets. | 我是个美国人 我相信自由市场 |
That's not how it's suppod to work. Right? | 这个实验不太对劲吧 对吗 |
If you want people to perform better, you reward them. Right? | 如果你想要人们做得更好 你便给他们奖赏 对吗 |
Bonus, commissions, their own reality show. | 红利 佣金 他们自己的真人秀 |
Incentivize them. That's how business works. | 赋予他们动机 这就是商业法则 |
But that's not happening here. | 但实验里却不是这样 |
You've got an incentive designed to sharpen thinking and accelerate creativity, and it does just the opposite. | 奖励是为了增强思考能力及创意 但事实却是相反 |
It dulls thinking and blocks creativity. | 它阻断了思考和创意能力 |
And what's interesting about this experiment is that it's not an aberration. | 有趣的事情是 这个实验不是误差 |
This has been replicated over and over and over again, for nearly 40 years. | 它被一再重复 在过去的四十年间 |
The contingent motivators -- if you do this, then you get that -- work in some circumstances. | 这些不同的诱因 如果你这样做 你就得到那个 在某些情况里是可行的 |
But for a lot of tasks, they actually either don't work or, often, they do harm. | 但在许多任务中 他们不是没有作用 更有可能产生反效果 |
This is one of the most robust findings in social science, and also one of the most ignored. | 这是在社会科学中一项最有力的发现 同时也是最为人忽略的 |
I spent the last couple of years looking at the science of human motivation, particularly the dynamics of extrinsic motivators and intrinsic motivators. | 过去两年 我研究人类的动机 尤其是那些外部的激励因素 和内在的激励因素 |
And I'm telling you, it's not even clo. | 我可以告诉你 两者相差悬殊 |
If you look at the science, there is a mismatch between what science knows and what business does. | 如果你使用科学方法查证 你会发现科学知识和商业行为之间有条鸿沟 |
And what's alarming here is that our business operating system -- think of the t of assumptions and protocols beneath our business, how we motivate people, how we apply our human resources -- it's built entirely around the extrinsic motivators, around carrots and sticks. | 我们必须注意的是 我们的商业机制 想想这些商业的协议和假设 我们如何激励人心 如何运用人资 全是以这些外部激励因素作为基础 打手心给块糖 |
That's actually fine for many kinds of 20th century tasks. | 对许多20世纪的工作来说是可行的 |
But for 21st century tasks, that mechanistic, reward-and-punishment approach doesn't work, often doesn't work, and often does harm. | 但面对21世纪的工作 这些机械化的 奖惩分明的作法 已经不管用了 有时更招致反效果 |
Let me show you what I mean. | 芦荟的样子让我呈现我想表达的 |
So Glucksberg did another experiment similar to this where he prented the problem in a slightly different way, like this up here. Okey? | Glucksberg做了一个类似的实验 这次他给了他们一个比较不同的问题 像这个图里面的 |
Attach the candle to the wall so the wax doesn't drip onto the table. | 实验对象必须要找出一个让蜡烛黏在墙上 又不会流下烛泪的方法 |
Same deal.You: we're timing for norms. | 相同地 这边:我们要的是平均时间 |
You: we're incentivizing. | 这边:一样的给他们不同的诱因 |
What happened this time? | 结果呢 |
This time, the incentivized group kicked the other group's butt. | 这次 有诱因的那组人 远远地胜过了另一组人 |
Why? Becau when the tacks are out of the box, it's pretty easy isn't it? | 为什么 一旦我们把图钉从盒子里拿出来 问题就变得相当简单不是吗 |
If-then rewards work really well for tho sorts of tasks, where there is a simple t of rules and a clear destination to go to. | 假设 在这个情况下 奖励就变得非常有郊 在规则简单目标明显的情况下 |
Rewards, by their very nature, narrow our focus, concentrate the mind; that's why they work in so many cas. | 奖励产生了作用 让我们集中精神 变得专注 这便是为何奖励在许多情况下有 效的缘故 |
And so, for tasks like this, a narrow focus, where you just e the goal right there, zoom straight ahead to it, they work really well. | 当我们面对的工作是 范围狭窄 你能清楚见到目标 向前直冲时 奖励便非常有效 |
But for the real candle problem, you don't want to be looking like this. | 但在真正的蜡烛问题中 你不能只是这样看 |
The solution is not over here. The solution is on the periphery. | 清洁家园解答不在那里 解答是在周围 |
You want to be looking around. | 你需要四处找寻 | 温顺的反义词
That reward actually narrows our focus and restricts our possibility. | 奖励却令我们眼光狭隘 限制了我们的想像力 |
Let me tell you why this is so important.蜘蛛的英文 | 让我告诉你这个问题的重要性 |
In western Europe, in many parts of Asia, in North America, in Australia, white-collar workers are doing less of this kind of work, and more of this kind of work. | 在西欧 亚洲的许多地方 北美洲 澳洲 白领工作者比较少处理这种问题 更多的是这种问题(指钉放在盒中的) |
That routine, rule-bad, left-brain work--certain kinds of accounting, certain kinds of financial analysis, certain kinds of computer programming--has become fairly easy to outsource, fairly easy to automate. | 那些例行的 常规性的 左脑式的工作 一些会计 一些财务分析 一些电脑编程 变得极为容易外包 变得自动化 |
Software can do it faster. | 软件能处理的更快 |
Low-cost providers around the world can do it cheaper. | 世界其他地方的低价供应商能以更便宜的成本来完成 |
本文发布于:2023-05-20 23:17:26,感谢您对本站的认可!
本文链接:https://www.wtabcd.cn/fanwen/fan/89/920943.html
版权声明:本站内容均来自互联网,仅供演示用,请勿用于商业和其他非法用途。如果侵犯了您的权益请与我们联系,我们将在24小时内删除。
留言与评论(共有 0 条评论) |