Before I tell you about my poetry teacher,
在我跟你说我的诗歌老师之前,
I need to tell you about the preparatory school I went to, so you can better understand where I'm coming from.
我需要告诉你我上的预科学校,这样你可以更好地了解我来自哪里。
So I went to a preparatory school in ninth grade, and first off, what is a preparatory school?
我在九年级的时候去了预科学校,首先,什么是预科学校呢?
Google says its \"A private school that prepares students for college''.
谷歌说它是“一所为学生上大学做准备的私立学校”。
Now hearing that definition you might think, wait, don't all schools prepare students for college?
听到这个定义,你可能会想,等等,难道不是所有的学校都在为学生上大学做准备吗?
Isn't that a school's job?
那不是学校的工作吗?
And you might think that a preparatory school is more fancy and made out of marble,
你可能会认为预科学校更昂贵,它是由大理石做成的,
and all the kids come from
所有的孩子都来自富裕家庭……
Hahaha!
哈哈哈!
No!
不!
What it means is that the schools get little government funding,
这意味着学校几乎得不到政府的资助,
and parents have to pay for desks and the teacher's salary.
家长们不得不为课桌的费用和老师的工资买单。
I know different private schools will vary depending on how rich the parents are.
我知道不同的私立学校会根据家长的富裕程度而有所不同。
I'm sure that school made out of marble exists somewhere?
我相信那所大理石造的学校一定存在于某个地方吧?
But the preparatory school I went to, was relatively wor than a normal public school.
但是我上的预科学校,比一般的公立学校要差一些。
The school I went to didn't even have desks. They had fold up tables and the chairs were fold up too,
我去的学校甚至没有课桌。他们把桌子折起来,椅子也折起来,
how Oh...
他们是如何……哦……
Well now I know where all the budget went.
现在我知道所有的预算都花到哪里去了。
The main difference between a public school in a prep school,
公立学校和预科学校的主要区别在于,
is that a prep school is smaller and there's a uniform and there's lockers.
预科学校比较小,有校服,还有储物柜。
< why did my twin sister and I attend a preparatory school?
所以……为什么我和我的孪生姐姐要上预科学校?
Becau twins have superpowers and we need to go to a special school to enhance our abilities.
因为双胞胎有超能力,我们需要去一个特殊的学校来提升我们的能力。
Nah! I' I'm just kidding. I'm…I'm kidding, that would be cool though!
不!我只是……我只是在开玩笑。我……我开玩笑的,那样会很酷的!
We went becau when we were
starting our freshman year, our older brother was a nior,
我们去那里是因为一年级刚开始的时候,我们的哥哥已经是个高年级的学生了,
and he was already attending this preparatory school,
他已经在这所预科学校上学了,
and my mom didn't want to drive to two high schools to pick us up.
我妈妈不想开车去两所高中接我们。
We already had a carpool in place, you can't just mess with the carpool!
我们已经有了一个拼车的地方,你不能把拼车搞得一团糟!
Me and my sister didn't know what to expect from a public high school,
我和我姐姐不知道在公立高中能有什么期待,
we've never been, we thought we'd get bullied or something.
我们从来没有期待过什么,我们以为我们会被欺负或什么的。
\"Boy, I feel like picking on someone today!\"
“孩子,我今天真想找别人的碴!”
Yeah, sure, we can go to a prep school, I mean what's the worst that can happen?
当然,我们可以去预科学校,我是说,最坏的结果会是什么?
Well, the carpool we had made it, so we would arrive at the school super early before everyone el,
我们共乘一辆车,这样我们就能比其他人早到学校,
and we'd be picked up from the school super late.
我们会很晚才放学。
And also becau it was a prep school, they gave out a stupid amount of homework!
而且因为这是一所预科学校,他们布置了大量的家庭作业!
I remember breaking up the homework into pieces like,
我记得我把作业分成了几部分,
Okay, I can do the geometry while I'm waiting for school to start,
好的,我可以在等开学的时候做几何题,
the biology homework I can do during geometry class,
我可以在几何课上做生物作业,
and I have choir after lunch so I can just do this during lunch!
午餐后我有唱诗班,所以我可以在午餐时间做这个!
Ah! Look at me being responsible!
啊!看我多负责任!
I have a little sister who just finished her freshman year in a public high school, and she thinks it was so hard.
我有一个小妹妹,她刚在一所公立高中读完一年级,她觉得这太难了。
Oh, you thought your ninth grade was hard?
哦,你以为九年级很难学?
Try doing twice the amount of homework and wear the same pants every day!
试着每天做两倍的作业,穿同样的裤子!
So now the only question remaining is, why did my older brother go to a prep school in the first place?
所以现在唯一剩下的问题是,为什么我哥哥一开始要去预科学校?
- Bro, why did you go to a prep school in the first place? - IDK, just decided to. Just felt like I should.
- 兄弟,你为什么要去预科学校呢?- 我不知道,就是这样决定了。我只是觉得我应该去。
My mom reads my scripts,
我妈妈看了我的文字,
and she told me that he went to a prep school becau one of his friends sai
d that there were cute girls at
她告诉我他去预备学校,是因为他的一个朋友说学校里有可爱的女孩……
so he decided to stay there for four years.
所以他决定在那里待四年。
Okay, now let's talk about my poetry teacher. I'll
好的,现在我们来谈谈我的诗歌老师。我会称呼他……
<
先生……
Poe.
坡。
Becau that's short a... tree.
因为那是爱伦·坡的简称……一棵……树。
Poetry wasn't even an elective class.
诗歌甚至不是选修课。
Every freshman was required to take it.
每个新生都被要求修这门课。
And surprisingly, poetry was only the cond most uless class you took at the school.
令人惊讶的是,诗歌只是学校里第二没用的课程。
The sophomores took a class on Latin.
二年级学生上了一堂拉丁语课。
You know, that dead language that no one speaks.绘画故事
你知道,那是种没有人说的呆板的语言。
So Mr. I don't want to judge him too hard.
因此,坡先生……我不想对他评头论足。
I don't know how he was like outside of school, but just picking up the vibes I got from him as a 14
我不知道他在校外是什么样子,但我从他14岁的时候就开始了解他了……
I think he was depresd.
我觉得他很沮丧。
I mean, to be fair, anyone who likes poetry probably has something wrong in their head.
我的意思是,公平地说,任何喜欢诗歌的人可能脑子都有问题。
But Mr. Poe just emed sad, all the time!
但坡先生似乎很伤心,一直以来都是!
Every single day he would start the class by saying, \"It's the best day ever.''
每一天上课前,他都会说,“今天是最棒的一天。”
which, if you think about it,
如果你仔细想想,
saying that every day only means that the days are going to get better and better sort
每一天都只意味着日子会越来越好,也就是说……这是一种诗意……
but I think Mr. Poe is lying to himlf.
但我认为坡先生在自欺欺人。
Also, Mr. Poe really
而且,坡先生真的很喜欢水蟒……
I he really liked snakes.
我是说蛇……他真的很喜欢蛇。
Sometimes would go off on tangents talking about snakes.
有时会跑题谈论蛇。
Royal Pythons, also called American Ball Pythons, got their name becau they turn into a ball when they get nervous.
皇家蟒蛇,也叫美国球蟒,得名于它们紧张的时候会变成一个球。
Also, did you know that snakes nevermind.
还有,你知道蛇有两个……别介意。
花螺
Sometimes in class we would be analyzing poetry,
有时在课堂上,我们会分析诗歌,
and Mr. Poe told us that every single word in a poem was important.
坡先生告诉我们,诗歌中的每一个单词都很重要。
The poet didn't have to u the word ''The''...
诗人不必使用“The”这个词……
- But What did they mean? - Sometimes we would spend days analyzing a single poem,
- 但是他们用了……这意味着什么?- 有时我们会花几天时间分析一首诗、
taking notes and talking about what we thought the poet meant.地道战动画片
做笔记、讨论我们认为诗人所表达的意思。
One time, a poem we were reading had someone talking,
有一次,我们读到一首诗是有人在说话的,
so there were quotation marks at the start of the ntence,
所以句子开头有引号,
but there weren't quotation marks at the end.
但是句尾没有引号。
The poet forgot to put end quotes. I remember noticing it in thinking.
诗人忘了在句尾加上引号。我记得我是在思考的时候注意到的。
Aha! A clue! Mr. Poe, I just made a breaking discovery!
啊哈!一个线索!坡先生,我刚有了一个惊人的发现!
买鞋子There's no end quotes here, meaning that the whole rest of this poem is told by this character!
这里的结尾没有引号,意思是这首诗的其余部分都是由这个角色讲述的!
And Mr. Poe said: \"Oh no, that's just a typo.\" Well, frickin, why am I perfectly nitpicking this piece,
坡先生说:“哦,不,那只是打字的一个错误。”该死的,为什么我要挑剔这个作品,
when the poet purpoly put poor punctuation in his poems!
当那位诗人在他的诗中故意用错标点符号的时候!
燕窝怎么选Pterodactyl!
翼龙!
This is going to sound off-topic, but do you guys know what lateral thinking puzzles are?
这听起来有点跑题,但是你们知道什么是横向思维谜题吗?
Lateral thinking puzzles are sort of like riddles, but more stupid.
横向思维谜题有点像谜语,但还要更愚蠢。
You're given a strange situation with little information, and you have to ask the person who told you the puzzle,
你被告知了一件奇怪的事情,几乎没有任何别的信息,你必须询问告诉你这个谜题的人,
yes or no questions to get the answer.
用是或不是的问题来得到答案。
My favorite lateral thinking puzzle is this, becau it's so stupid.
我最喜欢的横向思维谜题是这个,因为它太蠢了。
A man goes into a restaurant, orders albatross, eats one bite, and then jumps off a bridge.
一个男人走进一家餐馆,点了信天翁,吃了一口,然后从桥上跳了下去。
Why? Now normally, if we were playing legibly, you would ask me yes or no questions like:
为什么?通常情况下,如果我们玩的符合规则,你会问我是或不是这样的问题:
Was the man in a relationship? And I would answer them, saying \"Well, not anymore.\" The explanation is this,
那个男人是在谈恋爱吗?我回答他们说,“嗯,现在不是了。”解释是这样的,
I'm not going to read it out becau it's super long and complicated but, you can read it if you want.
我不打算读出来,因
为它很长很复杂,但是,如果你愿意,你可以读出来。
Well Mr. Poe, also liked to tell the lateral thinking puzzles, but his solutions dumber.
坡先生也喜欢讲这些横向思维的谜题,但他的解答更……愚蠢。
One of the puzzles he told the class was, \"You're trapped in a restaurant, how do you get out?\"
他告诉全班同学的一个谜题是,“你被困在一家餐馆里,你怎么逃出来?”
Now, I can think of like five solutions right off the top of my head.
现在,我可以马上想到5个解决方案。
Go through the door, through a window,
穿过门、穿过窗户,
u a crowbar if it's locked, there's probably a sharp knife to cut through a wall,
如果锁上了,就用撬棍,或许可以用一把锋利的刀来把墙壁切开,
or you can dig a hole under everything with a spoon, but it was actually none of tho answers.
或者你可以用勺子在地下挖一个洞,但实际上这些答案都不是。
So how do you get out of a restaurant you're trapped in?
那么,如果你被困在一家餐馆里,该如何走出来呢?
You education.
你会得到的答案是……教育。
家常炒白菜礼物送什么Okay, let me explain, you're trapped in a restaurant becau you're a waiter.
让我解释一下,你被困在餐馆里是因为你是服务员。
That's your job, and to get out of the restaurant, you need to get a good education so you can get a better job,
那是你的工作,为了离开餐馆,你需要接受良好的教育,这样你才能找到更好的工作,
kind of like how I was able to quit my job in the food industry, an education.
就像我是如何辞去我在食品行业的工作,通过……一个教育。
It's funny becau he dropped out of college.
这很有趣,因为他从大学退学了。
So the class got the answer to that riddle, but Mr. Poe told us another riddle and we never figured that one out.
所以全班同学都猜出了这个谜语的答案,但坡先生告诉了我们另一个谜语,我们一直没猜出来。
And that riddle is ''Anyone can dig a ditch, but it takes a real ''
这个谜语是,“任何人都能挖沟,但只有真正的男子汉才能……”
Blank. Given that the answer to the first riddle was education, the answer to this could be anything.
母婴用品行业一片空白。既然第一个谜的答案是教育,那么这个谜的答案可以是任何东西。
I really wanted to know the answer to this riddle, so I Googled it,
我很想知道这个谜语的答案,所以我用谷歌搜索了一下,
hoping that Mr. Poe just stole it from the internet, and I found this song,
希望坡先生只是从网上抄来的,然后我找到了这首歌,
\"Anyone can dig a hole, clo enough to a ditch, but it takes a real man to call it home.\"
“任何人都可以挖一个离沟渠很近的洞,但只有真正的人才能称之为家。”
Which sounds poetic enough. Let'
s e if the song gives us any more clues.
这听起来很有诗意。让我们看看这首歌是否给了我们更多的线索。
Mr Poe, I didn't know you were into this sort of stuff.
坡先生,我不知道你喜欢这种东西。
So I wish I could give you the answer, but I don't have one.
所以我希望我能给你答案,但是我没有。